Sunday, October 4, 2009

some updates

Well.. today I went to the ER for my now 4 week illness. I spent about 3-5 hours there in all. Yey.

Here's a little funny thinker:
I've been advocating social health care and how much I miss the swedish one, it may not be the best in the world but it did suffice well enough and keeps most of us swedes alive.
Whenever I advocate social health care and how nice it is to have, I always get the same respons from most americans "Yeah, but whenever you go to the ER or need help with a surgery, you will have to wait hours and years".
Here's the irony: Whenever I've had the need to visit the clinic for a check up on something in Sweden I've only had to wait around 20 minutes in the waiting room, sometimes up to 45 minutes if it's crowded.
Today at the ER, I was number two of the list of being called in to see the current doctor (of three) on jour, I sat 2 hours in the waiting room before I got called in and seated on a bed where I had to wait another 45 minutes before a nurse came in and had a small interview with me.
Another 20 or so minutes before the actual doctor came and asked me the very same questions the nurse did. He then opted me for a chest x-ray scan and left..
After another 30-40 minutes another nurse came along with a robe, told me to strip my upper body down and wear the robe instead, she helped me put it on as it had to be tied in the back.
The hospital is freezing cold and I wasn't even allowed to wear my bra. I got a warm blanket to cover myself up with.
After ANOTHER 30-40 minutes of waiting a nurse comes by with a wheel chair (god forbid if I were to walk) and takes me to the x-ray room, they scan me in two diffrent position, I get rolled back to my room and have another 20-30 minutes of waiting for the doctor, he tells me I have bronchitis ({medicin} bronkit, luftrörskatarr (substantiv). Goody. He tells me he's going to write out antibiotics and some cough medication for me and then I can leave.
I'm left alone, again, for another 20 minutes before a nurse comes by with my recipes and sends me on my way.
Of course, since I'm not on insurance again, this will cost us astronomical amounts of money, since the US health care money system is running wild, the tylenol I got (x2) and that didn't even work! most likely will cost us atleast $100 for both. Which is insane. Hell the warm blanket I got to borrow problaby cost as well.

The irony being, while in Sweden I get sent in most of the time within an hour, here I have to WAIT and WAIT and WAIT and wait some more for a long long long time and then pay out of my nose for the service I received.
Yes. I miss Swedish health care like it's no one else's buisness. I really do.
I don't miss the cranky swedish nurses/doctors, atleast here they will greet you with a smile and make small talk which helps immensely to make you feel comfortable.. but the waiting.

Well, atleast we know what's wrong with me now and how to cure it. Yay. Tomorrow Alexander is visiting a doctor as well as there's highly likely he got the same as me. We've both been sick equally long now and pretty much have the same symptoms.

16 days left till his first birthday :j

I'm excited and scared.

1 comment: