Sunday, October 18, 2009

Reflections 2

So birthday x2 and a funeral, both on the same day! wtf life?

Alexander and Anthony's birthday is on the day their great grandmother (reg grandma) is being earthed.
Talk about a happy first (and 28th) birthday. Good thing atleast one of them won't have to remember it. :\
Things are a little bit different here than in Sweden when it comes to funerals, atleast in this family. They try to do this as quick as possible, 3 days after the death of a person, no big food event (catering) and this family doesn't even want a church ceremony before earthing the casket. My grandmother-in-law didn't want any flowers either, she'd rather you donated those money for something good instead, like her local church, which isn't a bad idea, I'm in no way a believer, but I do believe in good of others, that church and pastor did alot of good to alot of people. The pastor stuck by her side for atleast 2-3 hours every day since she got sick, till she died. I believe that gave her alot of spiritual support she needed before letting go.

On to some happier things.
I keep noticing every day how much smarter my son is than I initially thought. He really is. He understands so much than I ever could imagine.
Yesterday we went to subway to get us a sandwich meal and in the restaurant itself there were ceiling fans rotating, providing a cool breeze in a other hot restaurant. As we were standing in line, telling the staff what we wanted on our subs, Alexander noticed the fans in the ceiling. It fascinated him, he started talking to me about it.. in his own lingo that is, then he forcibly turned my head towards the ceiling and pointed at them.
I was very impressed by this. Amazingly so.
Another instance was when were watching the famous tv-series Scrubs (comedy about med-school students that turns into doctors, main characters involves a white guy called JD (John Dorian) and his best friend, a black surgeon called Christopher Turk). The episode we were watching is called "My Musical" which is about a patient who hears everyone around her singing (a physical or mental problem? Is for the staff of the hospital to solve) Most of the episode everyone breaks out in musical show tune singing. I really enjoy that episode since I'm all gay for musicals and show tunes.
They get up to a point where they sing a song about poop/shit/bajs/excrement (it's very standard for hospitals to check poop for traces of illness).
Now to add in a little bit of background info. Alexander got a giant stuffy of Winnie the Pooh (Nalle Puh). He absolutely loves this stuffy and attacks it with hugging, kissing, biting and general wrestling, they're about equally tall in height but "Pooh Bear" as I call him is wider and softer.
As the cast of Scrubs starts singing "Everything comes down to poo~!" Alexander slides down my lap and crawls up to Winnie the Pooh and starts wrestling and kissing him! This was hilariously cute.
He had actually listened to the lyrics of the song and thought they were singing about his "poo". And to make sure it wasn't an accident or just a spur of the moment thing, I did the very same thing again, put the song on a couple of hours later when he was doing something else and Anthony was in the room. Same result.
To me that's amazing. I, myself, never really listened to lyrics in songs till I was around 10 years old, if at that. I was more of the musical kind, whereas I liked the instruments and rhythm more.
My son also understand the concept of being sleepy, whereas if you ask him if he's a sleepy boy, he'll rub his left eye with his left hand.
He understand the concept of changing diapers and will gladly hold and help you during diaper change. He's also more than happy to provide me with kisses on demand, understanding commands like "Can mamma have a kiss-kiss?" or "thank you" after a kiss received.
He also instantly gets whenever I'm cooking. Since he's got a bottomless stomach, he'll go "mmmmmm!!! mmmm!!! mmmmmmmm!!!" which means "Gimmegimmegimmegimmegimme! I wanna taste!".
He's got names for all his stuffies that he understands and I could go on forever on how smart I find it, or rather how surprised I am over how much he understands now.
Though, maybe the coolest aspect of this is:
He understands both English and Swedish. I can transition between the two languages and he understands equally much.

How's that for insane?

No comments:

Post a Comment