Friday, October 16, 2009

And then the fight was finally over

How fitting my previous post was about the subject I'm bringing up now.

I've been slacking with the blog, I've been busy and just not in the mood nor had the time or right moment to sit down and write.

6.30'ish this morning, give or take, Mary McLaughlin passed away in her sleep after a couple of week's worth of fighting, though being sleep induced with various strong drugs.
Her body and mind couldn't take it anymore and she finally let go.
I wish she will rest in peace and have everything she needed to be resolved, to be resolved.
She will be greatly missed.
All the blankets or stuffed animals she made for us, will be taken care of gently and we will always keep our memories of her fondly in our hearts.

My first memory:
My boyfriend and fiancee at the time brought me to see the family in Warsaw (Missouri). We first went to see my mother-in-law. It was all nice, she was very laid back and relaxed, I was almost a little intimidated by this, was she observing me to see what kind of a skanky ho that had trapped her son this time? I didn't talk much and was kind of shy, trying to as polite as I could and hold my own.
After the visit we decided to head back but not before meeting the grandparents-in-law. As I entered the house both were awake and up, watching tv, one of the court shows, a divorce court, maybe. I don't remember exactly but I remember the stern voices of the judge (female) and the gavel hitting against the little round wood thingy.
My fiancee introduced me and I was greeted with a very warm smile from my grandmother-in-law, Mary. It made me feel very very VERY comfortable.
The thing with me is: that I generally don't care for old people, I've had ALOT of bad run ins with the elderly. I've been an outsider most of my life, I've enjoyed it more when people leave me alone to my own devices. In most cases of old people they have been conservative with very old conservative views and for some reason seen me as a servant? at the time, in which it has clashed quite a bit as I rather wanted to be left alone. It's just been alot of clashes and me trying to avoid old people in general. I know. Weird huh?
I haven't exactly had the social grace either as I was growing up. Maybe I was taught wrong how to act respectfully towards the elderly.. but I think it's a two way thing as well.
To stay on the subject.
I was very comfortable by this warm smile, she made a quick little interview and we talked for a bit before we had to go. It made me feel instant welcomed, I even let some of my guard down.
I got to have 2 years with her. My only regret is that there weren't more.
I got to bake and use her kitchen, I waddled around when I was very muchly pregnant in her home and we talked about various way to make pregnancy comfortable, she knew a bunch, but I'd imagine so, she did have 11 children (some of which, unfortunately, she outlived).
She LOVED seeing Alexander when he was finally born, holding him and cuddling him. She made him a TON of blankets which she crocheted (virkade).
I have this one memory of Alexander being around 2-3 months old, it was before he gave up breastfeeding on his own, we brought him over after had hung out at my mother-in-law's for awhile. Mary held him in her arms while me and Anthony sat on the couch, talking to her.. All of the sudden Alexander tried to breastfeed on Mary. It was kind of funny watching him trying to go for her chest, we all had a good laugh about that.
We had a common enemy we freely liked to gossip about: the ex-wife (not mentioning any names hrhrhr, like it's hard to figure out).
In the end, I think she was pretty comfortable around me, liked me. I hope atleast.
I hope she felt comfortable enough to leave her grandson in my care and great grandsons and great granddaughter.

And you know what grandma Mary? I'm going to do my best to take care of them. Remember the cinnamon buns I made that you liked so much? The kids are going to grow up on those along with the other foods and breads I make.

We're going to miss you. A lot.

Your legacy will live on, through your children and grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment