Prepping for a big American holiday event was a handful.
Express cleaning and cooking for many hours on end, that's pretty much how the Thursday, the day of thanksgiving, went, atleast till the guests arrived.
From my previous food list, we excluded the pumpkin pie, it was just too much food for the small amount of us to handle, we're just gonna make one some other day!
I made a small picture collage of all the foods.
I didn't write any names, thought it would be more fun if you all could guess yourself to what is what! (Yeah, I'm really just lazy and exhausted)
I'll give you a match up list though! :
*Kalkon/Turkey (Oh god, was it ever good (and still is!) My husband rubbed on a smokey flavor blend on it's skin, roasted it for a couple of hours in the oven, it was stuffed with veggies in and around it. The flavor is very wild and smokey and ever so wonderful, I just LOVE it. Makes a great sandwhich meat right now.)
*Hasselbackspotatoes (they didn't roast enough in the oven and on the wrong temperature, as we had to put them in with the turkey at the same time, so they were a bit of fail but had a nice crunch to them!)
*cream sauce (the good ol' Swedish meatballs cream brown sauce (cream, soysauce, salt and pepper trick.)went very well with potato and turkey, even more so with strawberry jello for some reason, really balanced it out!)
*Green beans/Haricort verts (They were cooked southern style with bacon and still sitting in the left over boiled water, I love green beans alot so they were already a favorite of mine!)
*Strawberry Jello (With the lack of cranberry sauce, since my husband doesn't care for it, I made strawberry jello instead! It was meant to go with the deserts but I felt I needed to balance all the salty with something a little bit sweet, as for jam and voila, we had a package of strawberry jello in the cabinet)
*Bread (Garlic bread and cresent butter rolls (Americans love their pillsbury butter rolls to go with their food, I've discovered.) nothing special to say about this, the rolls came in a can! That's a bit unusual for us Swedes, they were sticky but easy to bake out when I figured it out.)
*Rob's pasta dish (aw dangit! Forgot to take a picture of it! I knew I forgot something! It was pretty much what I usually cook when I'm feeling like it! Makaronlada for the Swedes. You can, however, see a small piece of it on my dinner plate in the collage)
*Rob's Desert (It was very artificial cream and cherry filling! With some gram crackers (grahamskex), it was good but I couldn't eat too much of it without having a nausea attack coming on! But i did enjoy a cherry desert!)
*kladdkaka/Messy cake! (My sweet sweet messy cake, it didn't turn out bad at all! Very kladdkaka as it should be, served with a bowl of whipped cream for taking.)
The picture itself is fairly big, might take awhile for it to load! (click it for a fuller, bigger version)
On the topic of the kids.. sigh.
All of them sick.
Two out of three were on medication this time.
This is getting ridiculous.
2 ear infections and one pink eye, still.
Fuck you, Susan. I can't believe there is no way of putting this woman under a watchful eye from some kind of authority of some kind. Seriously. What can we do? I'm running out of energy and hope and it sucks, they kids are the ones suffering bad from this.
I'm almost suspecting her to have Munchhausen syndrome, only it starts with her not caring for her kids, until they are bad enough they need a doctor and then she can suck up the attention from the doctors for her poor children, who are sick EVERY SINGLE WEEK.
So far everything's gone fine.
Alexander is getting out of his phase and is back to his old happy self.
Oh yeah! The bed! The toddler bed!
The first night we got it and put it together, it was new and exciting. He couldn't sleep on it! He was playing, examining and falling off.
This was not a fun night for mama me. 5 times he fell off the bed when he was starting to fall asleep, pityful cries in the middle of the night woke me up enough to go and hold him for a bit and then put him back to bed.
Second night was just wonderful! It was like he had magically learned from his previous nightly experiences! He slept the night through and didn't fall off.
Third night, the very same and by 4th night he now knows how to get up and down from his own bed, legs first, climbing down and legs up on the mattress when getting up.
I'm so proud of him.
He doesn't even have problems taking naps on it. What a big boy I got. <3
It's funny too, he doesn't even need to lay in our bed as well to fall asleep or wake up or take naps, he's always been very big about this, knowing what is his bed and having hard times falling asleep outside of his bed (other than when he's so sick that he's just too exhausted to care where he's laying).
When the kids were here, he was very prone to show off what a big boy he was as well, he kept coming up to them and playing like a big kid, grabbing a toy and gently watching what they were doing and then trying to do the same. Very sociable. My little boy grew up.
I almost feel a little lonely. ;p
This weekend he barely even took notice of me, or rather, he wasn't as clingly as he usually is. He ignored both me and Anthony, just to hang out with his siblings and play big kid games.
It's been a fairly good weekend and American holiday. I'm happy about it, other than physical pains that both me and Anthony seem to suffer from, big muscle knots and hurty aching backs and necks.
Weird how we both got it, just like that..
Maten ser verkligen läcker ut speciellt kalkonen! Blir ju hungrig ju! Vad Alexander verkar mogen för sin ålder o duktig som sover i sin nya säng/Kram Mamma
ReplyDeleteBeing a student and eating junk food always, looking at those gourmet foods made me salivate
ReplyDelete